I'm a researcher working on deep learning. Previously I focused on theoretical aspects of computer science, specifically algorithmic graph theory, constraint satisfaction, and parameterized complexity.
My PhD thesis investigated multiplicative graphs, which are the subject of Hedetniemi's conjecture (on coloring graph products), as well as spaces of graph homomorphisms, using new algebraic-topological methods.
- A note on hardness of promise hypergraph colouring preprint
- PTAS for Sparse General-Valued CSPs LICS 2021 | ACM Trans. Algorithms (TALG)
- Smaller counterexamples to Hedetniemi's conjecture preprint
- Sallow: a heuristic algorithm for treedepth decompositions GitHub | a submission for PACE 2020, in IPEC 2020 proc. | short presentation slides, vid
- Topology and adjunction in promise constraint satisfaction SIAM J. Comput. | merge of arXiv:1904.03214 and Improved hardness for H-colourings… Theorem 4.17 is improved from 4- to 3-colourings. Adjunction is discussed in the context of gadget constructions. The proofs are significantly more detailed and the presentation has been overhauled, with more examples.
- The power of the combined basic LP and affine relaxation for promise CSPs SIAM J. Comput. | extends SODA 2020 paper by Joshua Brakensiek and Venkatesan Guruswami
- The complexity of promise SAT on non-Boolean domains ICALP 2020 | ACM Trans. Comput. Theory (TOCT) | presentation on YouTube
- Pliability and approximating Max-CSPs accepted in JACM | journal version of Treewidth-Pliability and PTAS for Max-CSPs
- Treewidth-Pliability and PTAS for Max-CSPs SODA 2021 | presentation video
- Improved hardness for H-colourings of G-colourable graphs SODA 2020 | contains small results about category theory not included in Topology and adjunction…
- Graphs that are not strongly multplicative in preparation…
- Tight complexity lower bounds for integer linear programming with few constraints STACS 2019 | ACM TOCT
- Integer Programming and Incidence Treedepth IPCO 2019
- Hedetniemi's conjecture and strongly multiplicative graphs SIAM J. Discrete Math.
- The step Sidorenko property and non-norming edge-transitive graphs J. Comb. Theory A (JCTA)
- On inverse powers of graphs and topological implications of Hedetniemi's conjecture | J. Comb. Theory B (JCTB)
- Turing kernelization for finding long paths in graph classes excluding a topological minor IPEC 2017 | invited to Algorithmica special issue
- On Directed Feedback Vertex Set parameterized by treewidth WG 2018
- Tight lower bounds for the complexity of multicoloring ESA 2017 | ACM Trans. Comput. Theory (TOCT)
- Cutwidth: obstructions and algorithmic aspects IPEC 2016, Best Paper award | invited to Algorithmica special issue
- Linear kernels for edge deletion problems to immersion-closed graph classes ICALP 2017 | SIAM J. Discrete Math.
Square-free graphs are multiplicative
SIAM DM 2016 | J. Comb. Theory B (JCTB)
presentation | Young Author Prize at Bordeaux Graph Workshop
- Fully polynomial-time parameterized computations for graphs and matrices of low treewidth SODA 2017 | ACM Trans. Algorithms (TALG)
- On space efficiency of algorithms working on structural decompositions of graphs STACS 2016 | ACM Trans. Comput. Theory (TOCT)
- Edge bipartization faster than 2k IPEC 2016 | invited to Algorithmica special issue
- Polynomial kernelization for removing induced claws and diamonds WG 2015 | Theory Comput. Syst. (ToCS)
- Homomorphism reconfiguration via homotopy STACS 2015 | SIAM J. Discrete Math. | animated presentation (fr)
- Reconfiguration in bounded bandwidth and treedepth J. Comput. Syst. Sci. | slides | (abridged version in joint paper below)
- Reconfiguration over tree decompositions IPEC 2014
- Reconfiguring independent sets in claw-free graphs SWAT 2014 | slides
My name is pronounced like "mar-chin vroh-na", but "Martin" is perfectly fine 🙂